You know you watched it…
August 28, 2008 in Editorials
…at least on YouTube, if not on TiVo. Yes, the Obama acceptance speech.
I just watched it on slight tape delay with the DVR and this is “One Green’s Thoughts” on it. Please feel free to share your thoughts as well.
I believe there is a saboteur in the Obama camp, and it is whomever was in charge of music selection.
First, in a poke at the Cynthia McKinney Power to the People campaign, they played “Power to the People” to introduce…Dick Durbin? WTF?
But the proof of conspiracy lays at the feet of closing Obama’s speech with the country western Brooks & Dunn “Only in America” may have possibly cost Barack Obama the Presidency. Seriously, the ‘profound’ rhetoric that he closed with was doused with gasoline and set on fire the moment that song started playing. It’s over folks, start practicing saying “Down with McCain”, all you protesters.
On the Issues
Past the rhetoric were some positions. Lets cut to the chase:
- He’ll cut tax breaks to some corporations, but give them to others, depending on what nation their P.O. Box is in;
- He’ll spend 15 Billion per year on renewable energy, but he sees “Clean” Coal and Nuclear Power as the solutions to our energy crisis;
- Education – He’ll make sure you can afford it (and pay for it), as long as you serve in the military or serve community service. (Compared to McKinney’s ‘Education not Incarceration’ position). The rest of you are screwed.
- Health care – Lower premiums, lower costs, regulate insurance and extend Congressional insurance to those without (but they have to pay for it, right?) a far cry from Universal Health Care, which has been achieved in so many other Nations that all happen to have multi-party politics and Greens in Government…
- Bankruptcy – I heard about pensions and CEOs but nothing about the poor and lower middle class that are enslaved by credit card debt and can’t even declare bankruptcy (thanks to Biden).
- Cut government programs – yes, he said that to pay for his plans he would close corporate loopholes and cut “un-needed” government programs. No definition of “un-needed” was provided.
- Time frame for withdrawal from Iraq
- Take the war to Afghanistan
- GLBT Issues – stands for visitation rights? What about equal rights? Come on!
He had strong rhetoric, and gave a strong speech. You can read about that everywhere else likely.
Obama should defeat McCain, but I believe that the Brooks & Dunn song tanked the Presidency for Obama. It is unfortunate, because the closer the election appears to be between McCain and Obama, the more voters will get cold feet and vote to block instead of vote their hopes, i.e. they will be tempted to vote for Obama instead of voting for McKinney.
But if they look closely at Obama’s stated positions (see above), and look at the Green Party’s stated positions, the decision should be already decided – that only the Green Party represents the values that Americans truly believe in: Universal Health Care, Moratorium on New Coal and Nuclear Power Plants, End the Wars (all of them!), Sustainable economic development and Social Justice for All Americans not just the privileged.
What did you think?