Will Nader challenge Sen. Dodd in Connecticut?

On Thursday, 11/12, Politico asked “Will Nader challenge Dodd?” Ralph Nader, the Green Party’s presidential candidate in 1996 and 2000, is a Connecticut native and eligible to run for US Senate there.

The consumer crusader, perennial presidential aspirant and Winsted, Connecticut native says lots of people are asking him to run for the Senate against Dodd in 2010 — and he isn’t saying no just yet.

“You can’t believe the number of people of asking me [to run]… Right now I’d say I’m agnostic,” Nader told me earlier today, asked about rumors he’d run [as] an independent…”

Read the full story at Politico.

1. It would be a good idea if he ran, but the problem is is that he’s too old. Sorry if I have to say that, but I don’t think that he has 6 years left.

2. Dave Schwab says:

Based on what?

3. eclecticvibe says:

I’ll take 1 year of Nader over 6 years of Dodd.

4. Is Nader in failing health?

He may very well have 10-20 years left.

Look at Robert Byrd. He’s like, what, over 90?

5. Chicago Voter says:

I seem to recall reading, and some one from Connecticut can correct me if I am wrong, that Dodd is consider to be pretty weak at this point isn’t he? That some polls had pretty high negatives for him and had him pretty far behind his likely Republican challengers.

6. Ron says:

If an incumbent Democrat in Connecticut is trailing two different Republican challengers, he’s got problems. Maybe the voters of CT would see Nader as a reasonable alternative…

7. Dominik-CT says:

Naders parents lived into the 100s. He has a lot of years left. Go Nader.

8. I’m not surprised if people live into the 100’s nowadays. My Great-Uncle, who lives in Houston, Texas, is 100.

9. Hank Chapot says:

Ralph’s sister Laura is a professor at UC Berkeley and full of life. She’s part of the

10. Lora says:

Nader’s family members live to old ages and he is in good health. His age is not an issue. I second the above comment: Go Nader!!!

11. Wes says:

He should do it if he wants to run a full campaign. If it becomes just another platform to put out a 1 note anti-corporate message, then he should refrain. It is not for us to decide. He will do what he wants, but I am tired of campaigns designed to fail.

12. Skip Mendler says:

As the person who held the “naderforsenate.us” domain for a while, I am delighted to hear this news. Of course, it would be even BETTER if he could go against – and trounce – Lieberman… but there is one phrase I want to hear before I die: “Senator Nader issued subpoenas today….”

13. So what’s the rest of your comment at #9?

14. Will Ralph Nader seek Green Party endorsement?

Probably not.

15. VAGreen says:

I’m going to encourage him to go for it when I see him next Wednesday!

16. ad says:

All this talk of discrimination against people over age 30 is really disappointing.
    Ralph has the experience, drive and intelligence…..and he can win!
    Ralph Nader in the Senate? Like a breath of fresh air! Run Ralph, Run!

17. Dave Schwab says:

I don’t think Nader’s age is an issue – he shows no sign of slowing down, and he’s still as mentally sharp as ever.

US Senate is a race he can win, and a place where he can do a lot of good.

In 2008, Nader hit on a lot of issues like single-payer health care, the Middle East peace process, financial reform, the green economy, etc. I didn’t see it as a one-note anti-corporate campaign.

I hope he runs, and I hope he makes his decision before it’s too late to put together a good campaign. He’ll need to raise a lot of money and bring in a lot of volunteers… which I’m confident he can do, if he doesn’t get a late start.

18. me says:

I would LOVE to see this happen.

Nader MIGHT seek GP endorsement, the Connecticut GP is friendly, and much of Nader’s past ire was directed at national GP; national would have no part in the endorsement process.

To the Connecticut GP: if Nader is interested, please do not give him a hard time or put him through a bunch of grief just for the sake of looking like you are trying to be taken seriously; I do not know about Connecticut, but I have seen many good people seek the GP nomination in my home state repelled by the state GP and their putting people through hoops to make themselves look important, and we have lost good candidates this way.

Please Ralph, run! All progressives should be supporting this, with their encouragement, time, and/or money.

19. hey says:

I would LOVE to see this happen.

20. hey says:

We will have to aggressively support this, the Democrats will fly out every piece of neo-liberal trash to support Dodd: Clinton, H Clinton, Obama, Jesse Jackson: just like they did with Matt Gonzales v Gavin Newsom.

21. Hey Hey

Which state are you from?