Philadelphia Green seeks help to get on City Council ballot

Kaitlyn Foti reports at Chestnut Hill Patch:

Chestnut Hill resident Brian Rudnick is hitting the street, trying in a short amount of time to get the signatures he needs to get on the ballot this November.

Rudnick decided late in July that he wanted to switch from a write-in campaign as the Green Party candidate for the 8th District City Council seat.

The Green Party candidate, and Chestnut Hill resident, has only a few days to gather 750 signatures.

…“There is a strong and determined minority that thinks the city should have a two-party system at least. Because the Republicans are so weak, we hardly have a two-party system. That second party could be the green party,” Rudnick said.

…As for the chances for the Green Party, he said, “They are a political force, and their values are peace, social justice, grassroots democracy and non-violence, and what I seek to exemplify in my life and as a council person.”

Read more at Chestnut Hill Patch or at Rudnick for Philadelphia City Council.

8 Comments

1. Ross said,

July 28, 2011 @ 10:15 pm

There was a party meeting tonight that I missed, but I know at our last meeting we refused to endorse Rudnick’s write-in campaign. I’m not sure what the story is with the party’s relationship to the campaign now, but last I heard this is NOT a Green campaign officially, even if Rudnick is a Green.

2. Dave Schwab said,

July 29, 2011 @ 5:12 am

Why did the party refuse to endorse his campaign earlier?

3. Ross said,

July 29, 2011 @ 7:23 pm

He was choosing to run a write-in campaign rather than trying to get on the ballot, more than anything else. It was kind of out of the blue and Rudnick himself said that he wouldn’t be able to completely devote himself to his own campaign. Meanwhile, we also have two other campaigns that badly need the resources we have. But like I said, I’m not sure what happened at the last meeting.

4. Dave Schwab said,

August 2, 2011 @ 2:43 am

On his website http://4council.brianrudnick.com/ Rudnick writes that he was gathering signatures “in a bid to gain the backing of the Green Party of Philadelphia”. Apparently he has submitted 967 signatures, with a threshold of 750.

5. Ross said,

August 2, 2011 @ 1:33 pm

I talked to him the other day. He’d like the party’s endorsement, although it’s not necessary to be on the ballot as a Green. If he gets it, he’ll support our other candidates visibly. Either way he’ll continue to campaign for city council.

6. Brian "Good to be Green" Rudnick said,

August 6, 2011 @ 8:14 pm

Thank you to the 967 registered voters in the 8th Council District of Philadelphia who signed my nomination papers. You have earned me a place on the ballot as the Green Party candidate in the November 8 general election.

Thank you to our dedicated team of signature collectors who are registered voters in the 8th district and who joined me and worked so hard in collecting these signatures.

Let’s focus our attention now on the issues of bringing integrity back to the 8th district council office, creating jobs and funding our schools.

7. Dave Schwab said,

August 11, 2011 @ 6:24 am

I guess it’s still uncertain whether the local Green Party will endorse Rudnick. He addressed his party in this open letter on August 10:

8. Ross said,

August 12, 2011 @ 12:13 pm

It looks like they’re not endorsing him, for now. Here’s the latest news about it:

RSS feed for comments on this post