Jack Wagner: Ideas to help the Green Party win

San Francisco Green Party activist Jack Wagner has written a post at The Free Independent-Sun entitled “How the Green Party Can Win the Tucson Mayor Race and Prepare for 2012″. The post has a number of do-it-yourself ideas for how Greens can energize and expand the Green Party. Many of the ideas helped Ron Paul supporters to build a highly visible grassroots movement in 2008, including meetups, money bombs, and community blogs:

I’d suggest that the Greens in Tuscon start up a meet-up group, on meetup.com, and see who shows up. Even if it is 4 or 5 people, at least you know who your grassroots leaders are.

…I’d also suggest Green Party activists to try this out in every major U.S. city. Find some place that is low-key where you can get together and talk and keep trying to get people to show up. Whether or not they are actually registered Greens, see who is out there that is interested in what Greens have to say and who are willing to help.

In the post, Wagner levels a challenge at Green Party Watch:

I don’t want to discredit everything the contributors over at Green Party Watch have done, but I really think they, and we, need to develop that site into an actual functioning forum for Green Party activists. The Daily Paul has done amazing things for the Ron Paul grassroots effort by simply being an open forum for his supporters. The site contributors still stay in control of the front page, but users are able to put up their own posts, like to videos and articles and “bump” up posts they feel are important and relevant.

Check out the full post at The Free Independent-Sun.

6 Comments

1. Ron said,

August 4, 2011 @ 8:46 am

I think Jack is right on. Greens need a forum for organizing and sharing ideas and Green Party Watch has not evolved to facilitate that yet. I did beta-test a bulletin board for the site but I wasn’t happy with it. Now I am looking at the Daily Paul site and seeing what it would take to both maintain the years of content here while migrating to a more user-generated website. Believe me, I want nothing more than to hand this site over to all the Green activists and organizers across this country and the world.

2. JuliaWilliams said,

August 4, 2011 @ 9:15 am

@Ron-We soo need more technical expertise, more ability to engage with people on more platforms! I can only hope people with the requisite skills can be cajoled into creating better platforms. As a Luddite, I can only use the forums, we need more knowledgable peeps to create the venues!

3. Jack Wagner said,

August 4, 2011 @ 4:36 pm

Wow! Ron, thanks a lot for posting this up, so awesome.

The GWP has such great potential (and I’ve always loved the graphic…I’m a huge comic nerd), I can’t wait to see what we can do with an open Green Party forum. Sounds like we need to find some help to get this going, but I always try to remind myself that you don’t stop running just because there are hurdles, you jump over them…that’s the point of the race.

We got this if we want it, and it is pretty evident that we want it. All that is left is the how, and thankfully, we have the Internet to help us. Let keep the dialogue going and see where it leads us. We might have to figure out how to get some funds together and just hire someone to rock the site. I’m down to shoot for having a clear game-plan by the end of the month. That’s plenty of time to network and coordinate.

Enjoy the rest of the day, I’m heading to the Sonoma County Fair with the family. Have a few things going on the next couple days but should have some free time to work on making this happen.

I have a really good feeling about this!

4. Jack Wagner said,

August 4, 2011 @ 9:58 pm

They have a thread going on this over at the Daily Paul: http://www.dailypaul.com/172766/green-party-presents-daily-paul-as-a-model-for-an-open-forum-for-supporters

5. Jack Wagner said,

August 5, 2011 @ 1:29 am

I guess I should say thanks DAVE for posting this. I fixed the Tucson spelling issue as well. I’ve been doing a lot of writing and computer work lately. A lot of late nights…which turn into tired late-mornings.

Thanks again for the support!

6. Dave Schwab said,

August 5, 2011 @ 3:20 am

I know that Michael Kwiatkowski, who supported Dennis Spisak and other Greens, has a community-type at http://progressive-independence.org/ . I think his site is based on soapblox, the same platform behind Daily Kos and Firedoglake. I posted this discussion on Michael’s facebook wall, so hopefully he’ll show up with some words of wisdom.

I also know that Ross Levin is a well-traveled netizen of the interweb. I’d like to hear his take on this, too.

RSS feed for comments on this post