Jill Stein at 2% in CNN Poll

CNN/ORC released Presidential poll results on Monday that put Jill Stein at 2% support nation wide:

4. Now suppose that the presidential candidates on the ballot in your state included Barack Obama as
the Democratic Party’s candidate, Mitt Romney as the Republican candidate, Gary Johnson as the
Libertarian party candidate, and Jill Stein as the Green party candidate, who would you be more
likely to vote for? (RANDOM ORDER)

Registered Voters (September 7-9, 2012)
Obama 50%
Romney 41%
Johnson 4%
Stein 2%

From the Stein Campaign:

In a new CNN/ORC poll released Monday afternoon, a remarkable 2% of registered voters said they would vote for Green Party candidate Jill Stein over Barack Obama, Mitt Romney or Libertarian Gary Johnson for president of the United States. Based on the number of total voters in 2008, 2% of voters in the upcoming election could equal approximately 2.4 million people. The Jill Stein / Cheri Honkala ticket expects to be on the ballot in 40 states come November, with 85% of Americans seeing their names on the ballot.

“People are starting to realize that they have a choice in the upcoming election, and that choice includes a presidential candidate who is not a pawn of Wall Street,” said Stein. “Voters want a Green New Deal for America and Cheri Honkala and I are offering that.”

1. BSbafflesbrains says:

2% and climbing. If only the media wasn’t owned by big business. If there was a free press Stein would be polling at much higher numbers.

2. Andrew MCLeer says:

This is great news! While I am opposed to Stein on many policy issues (I’m actually a Johnson supporter), I think it’s important to have a lot of different people in the discussion of where to take the country and the way to accomplish this is to break the duopoly. Very encouraging that third parties have more than 5% of the vote in this survey.

3. Tim says:

Did you miss Gary Johnson on Reddit? http://ow.ly/dDO1P

4. Dr. Jill Stein would be polling in the double digits if the media gave her Green New Deal the attention it deserves. I made the mistake of voting for Obama in 2008…a mistake I won’t make again. As Eugene Debs (who received over a million votes for president in 1920 while he was imprisoned for violating the Sedition Act) once said, “I’d rather vote for what I want and not get it then vote for what I don’t want and get it.”

5. Matthew Heins says:

12 years later and you are still going for the magic 5%? I should really say 16 years, but 2000 is where you should have learned your lesson.

I wonder how much party building and how many state legislature seats you could have gotten done in 12 years?

I hope Stein gets her 5%.

But you better hope Obama wins whatever she gets. Even if he loses by twice her margin, you’ll still get the blame like in 2000.

What’ll happen then?

Still be running for the magic 5% in 2024? ;)

6. doug says:

The corporate powers that be aren’t stupid (about winning elections anyway). In 2008 they set up McCain/Palin as the “Clown Opposition” to Obama. This year it’s Romney/Ryan – this time running from deep over the right side of the cliff. Corporations WANT OBAMA, even though they may say otherwise. As Glen Ford says, Obama is the More Effective of the two Evils.

As Romney continues to shoot himself in the foot at least 2-3 times per week, Obama’s sure to gain steadily on him in the polls. This is going to “release” a number of “terrified” Obama supporters to vote for Stein. Hopefully that might push her over that 5% figure.

And I still hold on to the hope that a Tahrir Square moment, attracting many dormant Non-voters, might even push her all the way through to the White House. I don’t lose sleep over that, but it’s definitely in my dreams when I do sleep.

If our planet “dreams,” I’ll bet that it shares that dream.

7. Hopeful Hannah says:

Each person gets only one precious vote in the Presidential election.
    I refuse to vote out of fear of being called a spoiler. I’d rather be a
    spoiler than a coward (pardon me for being rude.) I intend to vote
    for the best choice regardless of popularity because SHE
    shares my values and goals for the country’s future. I would expect you
    to do no less. When you vote for the lesser of two evils, you play into
    the hands the power brokers who buy off our representative, and
    you disrespect yourself. I don’t regret voting third-party in previous elections.
    Can you say the same about your choice?

8. I wonder how many people would vote for Stein (or even the Lib guy) if they weren’t stuck in the idea of losing to the greater of two evils. I bet there would be at least 15%. Add to that a media that isn’t so screwed up, and an IRV system, and there might just be true democracy, and not the bizarro-world version we have now. Or am I just an angry minority?

1. [...] Jill Stein at 2% in CNN Poll via Green Party Watch by Ronald Hardy on 9/11/12 [...]

2. [...] Johnson and Stein have been doing reasonably well for third/fourth-party candidates, but of course neither is going to win, or even [...]