Breaking news: Cynthia McKinney aboard detained Free Gaza Movement relief boat
• Boat with 33 international human rights activists is acting on Obama’s call for medical supplies and cement to be delivered to Gaza
WASHINGTON, DC — 2008 Green presidential nominee Cynthia McKinney is participating in a second campaign to deliver goods to Gaza in defiance of an Israeli blockade.
According to recent news reports, port authority officials in Cyprus have detained a multi-national Free Gaza Movement boat in Lanarca under pressure from Israel. The boat is carrying 33 human rights activists, including Ms. McKinney, and shipments of medical supplies and cement.
See Ms. McKinney’s June 25 blog post for an update (http://dignity.ning.com/profiles/blogs/they-denied-us-so-they-wouldnt).
Ms. McKinney notes that President Obama himself has called for medical supplies and cement to be sent to Gaza. Despite the Obama statement and a request from Ms. McKinney to the White House for an assurance of safety, the US State Department has warned the boat against sailing to Gaza.
Cynthia McKinney, a former six-term Democratic member of the US House from Georgia, was aboard a Free Gaza Movement boat delivering medical supplies to Gaza that was rammed by Israeli naval forces in January, 2009. Ms. McKinney and running mate Rosa Clemente were nominated for President and Vice President at the Green Party’s 2008 national convention in Chicago, Illinois.
For news on the unfolding situation, see:
• Communications and updates from Cynthia McKinney:
• Special report on Gaza featuring Ms. McKinney and Greta Berlin of the Free Gaza Movement (audio and text):
• Free Gaza Movement: http://www.freegaza.org
• “Cyprus halts aid boats bound for Gaza Strip: US-based Free Gaza Movement planned to take 33 activists to Gaza with medical supplies and cement; Cypriot shipping officials cited inspection requirements for stopping the two vessels from leaving port”
Reuters/Israel News, June 25, 2009
• “Activists plan to send Gaza cement, in violation of Israel blockade”
Reuters and Haaretz Service, June 18, 2009
From the Green Party:
• “Greens join Global Day of Action for Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions on March 30 to end the Israeli occupation,” March 26, 2009 http://www.gp.org/press/pr-national.php?ID=192
• “Green Party: Israel-Palestine truce must include end of Israeli occupation and observance of international law or violence is likely to resume,” January 19, 2009 http://www.gp.org/press/pr-national.php?ID=169
• International Committee of the Green Party: http://www.gp.org/committees/intl